Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Who am I?

I have recently updated my profile information and thought that it would be good to share this, in an expanded form, on my blog, especially considering I am new to creating an educational blog.

My family and I currently reside in Garden City, Kansas where I teach Mathematics in the Trades Academy at Garden City High School (GCHS). GCHS was divided using the Academy concept when the new building (now in it's second year) was built. There are four main wings which house the Freshman Academy, Public Service, Arts & Communication, and Health and Trades Academies. The Health and Trades Academy is located in one wing together, however is essentially two separate academies. There are more than 2000 students at GCHS from a wealth of nationalities. Garden City is very representative of the quintessential melting pot that is America.

I have a long and varied career in education which began in 2000. Throughout the years I have in schools with as few students as 10 in Kindergarten to 12th grade (literally the one room schoolhouse concept) to as many as 2200 in grades 9-12. I've been a teacher, counselor, administrator, and curriculum director. I'm Highly Qualified in Elementary (general subjects), Elementary Curriculum, Middle School (general subjects), Middle School Mathematics, Middle School Language Arts, Secondary Mathematics, Secondary Language Arts, and Arts Education.

I have a passion for Curriculum, strange as the may seem, and truly believe in education and the ability to make a difference in someone's life. I've seen it first hand. I'm an educator first and foremost. I believe that surpasses the boundaries created by titles such as teacher, administrator, union member, or any other such thing.

I received my Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Education in 2000 with a major in Mathematics and a minor in Arts Education from the University of Michigan. I earned my Master's Degree in Educational Leadership in 2006 from Eastern Michigan University. I have teaching and administrative certificates in Michigan, Alaska, and Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment